cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wondering if dealer did any damage.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2017 when we bought our brand new Airstream TT, we had the dealer add the airstream 90 watt solar package. He did so, and we have been using it for the last 4 years. I am considering adding more solar panels to the roof, and the OEM PWM controller needs to be upgraded. I bought a Victron SmartSolar 100/30 controller to use. When I opened up the compartment, I found what I am sure is a mistake. I think the dealer mis-wired the OEM controller.

It is a Sun Explorer (not the Sun Explorer II or III). It has 3 wires (plus the ethernet cable to the display panel). The red (hot) wire is connected to the battery positive, as it should be. The black (ground) wire is connected to the battery negative, as it should be. The yellow (PV hot) wire is connected to the PV hot wire, as it should be. However, the PV green (ground) wire that should be connected to the battery negative is, instead, also hooked to the battery positive.

Of course, I am going to wire the new controller properly, but I am wondering if the solar panel has been damaged.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
23 REPLIES 23

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Victron installed and working. Second panel on the way. Life is good.
Bobbo and Lin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the install of the second panel goes well, I may add two more 90 watt panels. If so, I will have four panels, two pairs of panels in parallel, with each pair of panels in series.
Bobbo and Lin

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
Our friend's own a 23FB Airstream. They purchased three 100 watt panels and their gear from AM Solar in 2017. It easily keeps their two Lifeline AGM's topped off. They have an inverter, but it's rarely in use.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
noteven wrote:
PV = photo voltage?

Anyways what does the wiring diagram ...

PV = Photovoltaic cell, an acronym for the solar panel.

I don't understand your question.

I expect the wires from genuinedealz.com in a few days. I will be back in the trailer then and can connect the PV to the new controller and get readouts from their bluetooth app.

Well that was gibberish hahaha

If I had finished what I was writing โ€ฆ the question was supposed to be along the lines of โ€ฆ so you have wiring diagram for the original controller ? etc etc

It sounds like you have it figured out.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I got confused. OK so two 90s will give you options for connecting them. One 90 isn't much, but two can do some useful work.

Interesting about solar and Airstreams. Hadn't thought of that before. My parents had an Airstream in the 60s/70s, went on one of those Wally B caravans down to Panama as one of their trips. Chrysler car to pull it back when they made the best TT hauling car (and many police cars same reason I guess before Crown Vics came along ๐Ÿ™‚ )
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Current panel has maximum operating volts 20.5, new panel is operating volts 19.1v. Didn't use the word "maximum." Both are 90 watt panels.

I am getting the narrow 90. I ordered the second panel before I discovered the first panel was not charging the battery. I thought if I am getting that little of a charge, I need to double it.

I don't understand this question, unless you think I am REPLACING the first panel. I am not. I am adding to it.

BFL13 wrote:
They have that narrow 90 maybe like what is there now and a normal 100, so if a second 90 and not going with two panels, why get the second panel at all?
Bobbo and Lin

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are the two panels compatible to combine (both 12s?) in either series or parallel (depends on their specs which way to go) and have the combination plug into the existing roof box?

From your link:
https://amsolar.com/airstream-trailers

What are you looking at similar to in there somewhere? I noted the special narrow panel requirement, but what specs?

They have that narrow 90 maybe like what is there now and a normal 100, so if a second 90 and not going with two panels, why get the second panel at all? Or if getting the 100w then you can do 90 and 100 in parallel but if in series you will have the 100 acting like the 90 for amps, so best amps is in parallel. two 90w you can go either way.
Photo in Profile

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got an email from genuinedealz.com today that they just mailed my new wires. Another 2 or 3 days and I can wrap this up. Thanks all.

Oh! Until the new solar panel I have ordered from amsolar.com arrives. However, since I will have the new Victron SmartSolar 100/30 already installed, I can just install the panel on the roof and plug it into the solar collector box that Airstream installed on the roof.

I was thinking to double my solar. However, considering that I probably had ZERO solar charging, I will REALLY boost it.
Bobbo and Lin

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
" I am inclined to think it is still working"

Yes, "It's alive!"
Photo in Profile

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, readings below.
1. I have cheap equipment
2. The batteries are fully charged already and the converter/charger is outputting 13.2v DC
3. The PV is completely shaded since the TT is under a carport roof

It is reading almost 0.2 amps on the PV positive wire. It is reading right at 16v DC after cutting the wires and getting an open circuit reading. With the panel completely shaded, I am inclined to think it is still working.
Bobbo and Lin

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't get readings from the App, you won't know if it is the panel, controller or Bluetooth at fault. You need a multimeter to check the panel itself before connecting it to the controller.

The guy in the link above just used the existing yellow and green wires in his new controller, so if yours are still there, you can measure from those now. You can use your new wires later, checking that installation with your multimeter and comparing readings with the displayed readings.

It can be that the displayed readings are off a bit so you can allow for that when making settings. Also some readings are to one decimal place and the multimeter at two, so you can see when the display "rounds" up or down. Also for noting small voltage drops.
Photo in Profile

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
PV = photo voltage?

PV = Photovoltaic cell, an acronym for the solar panel.

I don't understand your question.

I expect the wires from genuinedealz.com in a few days. I will be back in the trailer then and can connect the PV to the new controller and get readouts from their bluetooth app.
Bobbo and Lin

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
PV = photo voltage?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the panel Voc (open circuit), Isc (short circuit) to verify the panel is OK. With the panel and with the panel - wire corrected measure the controller + amps to the battery with a discharged battery. I'll bet a dounut that you'll find everything OK and you've not had prior solar charging.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob