cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bent hitch.....?

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
So I traded in my 5th wheel for a small travel trailer.... Come to find out the receiver (which i last used years ago for my old TT) had gotten beat up a bit (and rusty)- I can no longer slide the receiver bolt to hold the hitch in the receiver because the holes for the safety chains look like they are bent out?? (why I dunno?)- it looks like some pretty strong metal- Any way to bent the area where the holes for the safety chains back?- I will try and post a pic- I got around this by using a smaller bolt to hold the hitch on- (I don't want to keep doing that since it's not as strong)
6 REPLIES 6

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
huskyfan68 wrote:
So I traded in my 5th wheel for a small travel trailer.... Come to find out the receiver (which i last used years ago for my old TT) had gotten beat up a bit (and rusty)- I can no longer slide the receiver bolt to hold the hitch in the receiver because the holes for the safety chains look like they are bent out?? (why I dunno?)- it looks like some pretty strong metal- Any way to bent the area where the holes for the safety chains back?- I will try and post a pic- I got around this by using a smaller bolt to hold the hitch on- (I don't want to keep doing that since it's not as strong)

Take care of yourself... BUY ANOTHER HITCH.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just use a 5/8"drill bit and clean the hole up. Do not use a smaller pin. Someone's life may depend on it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
huskyfan68 wrote:
I got around this by using a smaller bolt to hold the hitch on- (I don't want to keep doing that since it's not as strong)

You are joking..... right???

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a sledgehammer and hit the chain loops.

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Bending the metal back stands a good chance of weakening it. Better in the long run to replace it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œBent backโ€ metal has the same strength as unbent metal? But ifโ€™n It looks strong...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad