cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How bad is the smoke in Grand Teton/Jackson Hole area?

ClassBGirl
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to this area in 10 days. Anyone know how bad the smoke is in the area? I'm assuming the smoke is from the Washington, Idaho, and California fires blowing in. I know Montana has some as well. Are there any fires near the Tetons? I just saw some web cam views and most mountain views are gone. Just wondering if it tough breathing or makes your eyes sting? We may want to alter our plans. Any info appreciated!! Thanks!!
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS (Murphy bed & dinette slide) with
Extreme Weather & Off Road pkgs., plus Heated and Enclosed Tanks

2018 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Cab 5.0L V8 with Tow Mode
11 REPLIES 11

CLAlvarez1956
Explorer
Explorer
I just pulled into Jackson Hole, WY, the Virginian Lodge, and it's clear as possible. It's beautiful!

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
The fire in Yellowstone is very small and is being allowed to burn as there is minimal area for it to affect and no structures. Some campground spots are closed for now. Looks like the smoke started clearing out around here, three hours away from Grand Teton, and it's pretty clear right now, at least compared to earlier this week.
John A. Lichty

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Said there was a new fire in Yellowstone now. I am sure it will just add to the smoke issues.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
We are under air quality warning in Calgary and surrounding areas, with children and elderly advised to wear masks as well anyone doing exertion work also. Radio saying they typically grade from 1 to 10 with 10 being bad and we are listed as a 11 right now so ........ Sad to see as they are saying coming from Washington and partially BC. We are due to leave for Waterton and Glacier on Friday evening then ambling out to Washington and Oregon Coast for 8 weeks from there.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

ClassBGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info!!!
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS (Murphy bed & dinette slide) with
Extreme Weather & Off Road pkgs., plus Heated and Enclosed Tanks

2018 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Cab 5.0L V8 with Tow Mode

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots can change in 10 days. Even daily it can change. Just keep updates on the conditions.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Grand Teton last week through Monday. Until Sunday morning, the views were great with almost no haze. Sunday morning you could barely see Mt. Moran from Colter Bay. Same down here in Lander, about three hours away on the eastern side of the Wind River Mountains. It has steadily gotten worse this week to the point where we can't see the mountains about two miles away, or less. A friend of my wife's said they were in Jackson today and didn't get to see the Tetons. However, 10 days is a lot of time and they may clear up before you get there. Probably will be some eye discomfort and you may be able to smell the smoke, we certainly can here. But, there are so many other things to do in Grand Teton other than looking at the Tetons, that I would urge you to go anyway and just enjoy yourself in one of the prettiest parts of our country, even if it's smoky.
John A. Lichty

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were there a few days ago--- no issues with smoke in GT then .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Here's a map of the area. Looks like its contained to Washington and Oregon right now, but with the wind and all the trees in the area supplying fuel, I imagine it will spread.

The smoke is making its way over to Glacier NP as well as many other places. Before the storm yesterday, visibility was severely limited in Glacier NP and there were air quality warnings on both sides of the park. The storm cleared it out for this morning but it is already starting to build again. I can barely see the mountains from the St. Mary KOA. By tomorrow afternoon we are supposed to be in an air quality warning again.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting a lot of smoke haze in Cody. From Canada and Washington.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a map of the area. Looks like its contained to Washington and Oregon right now, but with the wind and all the trees in the area supplying fuel, I imagine it will spread.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.