cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help on Battery Type for Solar ?

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering the Renogy 300 watt solar kit, my question is which battery set-up listed below is the best one. I am limited on space and can only fit what I have listed, thanks for your help!

4-group 24 lead plate deep cycle batteries,

3-group 27 lead plate deep cycle batteries or,

4-6 volt golf cart batteries wired to make 2-12 volt batteries.

Thanks,
Dave
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
17 REPLIES 17

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
The 300 watt kit isn't enough for 4 - 6 volt GC batteries. It is perfect for two GC batteries. If you plan on the 4-6 volt GC's you will need at least 400 watt and a MPPT controller and even that will be marginal for longest battery life.
The inverter only has an efficiency of 83 to 85 %. If you have to have a TV look for something in 12 volt with LED screen.

As a starting point 100 watts of solar per 100 AH of battery is a very minimum.

You don't need an MPPT for 400 watts. While nice to have not a necessity.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses! I will definitely go with the golf cart batteries and know that when power is down I have no problem running the generator with or without battery charger to bring the battery bank back up. I just wasn't sure which batteries would do the job better and now I know! ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How much solar you need is not a function of the battery bank. If is a function of how many amp-hrs that you use.

300watts of solar panels will likely put out around 100-125amp-hr each day (depends on how much sun they get. It could be much less if you park in shade).

If you use more than goes in each day, the battery bank will be drained over time and you will have to find another means of charging.

If you are limited on space, another vote for 6v golf cart batteries.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
The 300 watt kit isn't enough for 4 - 6 volt GC batteries. It is perfect for two GC batteries. If you plan on the 4-6 volt GC's you will need at least 400 watt and a MPPT controller and even that will be marginal for longest battery life.
The inverter only has an efficiency of 83 to 85 %. If you have to have a TV look for something in 12 volt with LED screen.

100% agree with Scrubjay'sNest on this. For the usage you describe, you might be well off with only two GC-2 golf cart batteries... as ScrubJay'snest said - more properly balanced for your 300 watts.... but in any case the GC-2 batteries are best. You certainly won't hurt anything if your 300W can re-charge four of the GC-2 batteries after a night's use.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
4 GC batteries wins. They have the most capacity, should last the longest, and you end up with only 2 parallel "strings" of batteries. The more batteries or sets of batteries in parallel the worse the installation. Batteries in parallel don't usually charge and discharge evenly.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My original 4 Trojan T-105 batteries lasted 13 years. Go with the golf cart batteries.

For solar, check this place. You will want to look for 12 volt nominal output, and aluminum frames, so you have something to attach to.

SunElec.com They had some 140 watt panels on sale a few weeks ago for $229.

Be careful not to buy house panels, without frames, and designed to mount to frames bolted to your roof. The frames can get expensive, and are not designed for flexing and traveling at 70 MPH.

If you click on my name, then click 'view posts' and search Solar, you will find several detailed responses on the subject, some with pictures of my roof and mounts.

You can buy the grey romex that is UV resistant at Home Depot. For mounts, I have 6" long 2" angle aluminum with holes for 3 #10 screws into the roof, and 5/16" hole for the 1/4" bolt into the panel.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Another way of looking at it is yes the solar is small for the four 6v's but compared to the needs it isn't. It should easily cover the need depending on the conditions. Worse case is if the solar can't keep up due to bad conditions for long enough, you would have to fund a alternate means of charging be it running a generator on a extended trip or plugging in once you are back home if the batteries don't get too low before then.

Even with a large bank and a better than 1 to 1 ratio watts to Ah, there are going to be times when it's bad enough for long enough that I'll have to run a generator.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The golf cart batteries are more durable and will afford more capacity. They also cost less than equivalent capacity in 12V.

I charge two banks with a total capacity of 300AH using a single 235W panel. My inverter is over 90% efficient. Not everyone's gear is the same.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the 4 golf cart batteries.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My vote would be.

4-6 volt golf cart batteries wired to make 2-12 volt batteries.

Much higher capacity than 4-group 24 lead plate deep cycle batteries

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer

Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Your going with solar, so I have to assume that means you like to boondock? Gold cart batteries is the only way to go. At least for a reasonable price.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,

Before the depression I made a living working on other people's boats.
I can tell you two things for a fact:
1 - Paralleling lead/acid batteries is not the best idea.
2 - Real 12V deep cycle batteries are hard to find and expensive.

All golf cart batteries are real deep cycle. That is the only way that they are made.

It looks like you have most of it figured out. No matter what you do with batteries in parallel, when the mode suits you, break up the bank and charge each set to full density. If you don't, one part of the bank will always be at less than full.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.