cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart Phone Newbee

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. Trying to download the GasBuddy app from their website by scanning the thing that looks like a UPS on steroids. What is that thing called? The thing that is square that only a computer can read. Anyway, can't figure out what I need to do to scan it. Help, please.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
9 REPLIES 9

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
The following link is for the Samsung S5. Take a look at the animations area. Recommend turning these off. Most of the link should apply to your S4 mini.

I also prefer folders on the home screens. I put all of my Google stuff in one folder. News sites in another. The shortcuts at the very bottom can also be swapped out. I place a flashlight app at the very bottom. This way I never hunt for it. Your phone might have arrived with both Dialer and Contacts at the bottom? Remove the contacts. It's redundant. Contacts are already in the Dialer.

Turn off Animations

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The advice above is accurate, Have done it many times (Have 2 scanners on my phone) one is RED LASER which has some neat features, Many will let you generate your own QR codes by the way,, you can encode name, address, telephone and web page and then save the code, copy it to a business card printer (Avery Label Pro limited) and print it out on cards.

However, To get both the scanner *AND* Gas Buddy apps.

Go to the Play Store

in the search box enter first: Gas Buddy and press on the magnifying glass.

Then once that one is started go back to the search window and enter QR CODE

You should be rewarded again.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
which QR scanner would you recommend? I am a little hesitant to download just anything. Thanks.

"QR Droid" does everything I need it do do.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I think Google Goggles has a QR scanner built in. Google Goggles can also be used to take a picture of famous land marks and paintings. Goggles will do a "Google" search of the picture.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
which QR scanner would you recommend? I am a little hesitant to download just anything. Thanks.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
But it's worth having a QR scanner anyway because you encounter them more and more frequently at places you visit.
Yep.. As an example, when setting up my wifi video cams around the house, QR codes were used to assist with the setup.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
But it's worth having a QR scanner anyway because you encounter them more and more frequently at places you visit.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use the web site. Just go to the Play Store directly and install from there. The QR code is just going to redirect you there anyway....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
You need a "QR code scanner"... But as long as you're at the Google Play Store looking at QR scanners, you might as well just install the Gas Buddy app from there.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate