cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a Cellular Tablet?

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie in the process of buying a travel trailer. There are several apps for rving that I will need and use. Looking at them on a cell phone isn't appealing to me.

Samsung, and probably others, have a 8" and 10" tablet that also has cellular and wifi. I was thinking about getting and using it primarily for rving--finding campsites, and it can be used with RV Life/Trip Wizard as a RV GPS.

Of course, it can still be used as a regular tablet.

Not being technically minded, I would appreciate any comments/suggestions about using a cellular tablet for rving.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use our IPhones for just about everything but sometimes we want the larger screes that iPadโ€™s offer and then we use the phones as hot spots for the IPads. My iPad Pro is a bit heavy to use for along time unless itโ€™s in its stand/keyboard.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very pleased with my iPad 2 on the road and at home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A tablet that has a SIM card slot is really just an oversize cell phone. Unless you want to make that your primary cell phone (and it will work), just get a regular wifi tablet and connect to your cell phone hotspot.

Personally I find 10" tablets to be too large to hold conveniently for long. I prefer 7" or 8" as a more comfortable size while still getting a bigger screen.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why pay for two cell plans? Go for the less expensive WiFi only version of the Tablet and use your cell phone as a hot spot for it. That way you only have to pay for one cell plan.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wife has Verizon, Husband has T-Mobile. We've been all over the country, and very seldom draw a blank for wifi. Both Samsung smart phones, and we use hotspot, and link to laptop (or a tablet) when we want it and it works fine. We don't stream anything, so can't comment on that. Works for everything we need.

Very occasionally, one or the other would have it, but not both. Not very often. When that happens, we just link to the other phone - hotspot.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

I have a Samsung Tablet and always take it camping rather than lugging my laptop around.

It does not have cellular, but I just use my phone for a hotspot as others have mentioned.

If you get a tablet with cell, it is the same thing as having another phone line. You will have to pay monthly for it.

I weighed the options when I bought my Samsung Tab3. The extra monthly charge was a deterrent.

I have occasionally run over my data limit, but the additional cost of that is far less than a monthly fee for cell service in a tablet.

I am happy with my decision, it works very well. Hotspot is built in to most of todays smart phones. No need at all for any extra hardware.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Explorer II
Explorer II
DW uses her iPad on the road. She has a Verizon data plan with it so it works just like her iPhone, but bigger. She's the navigator on the road.

When stationary, I use my Samsung as a hot spot and wifi my Kindle to it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I concur for older people, you really need a 10" tablet (kind of hoping that Amazon come out with a Fire 12 or 13).

I would not pay extra for built in cellular capability. Either use your existing phone for a hot spot OR, better yet, put the money into buying a cell phone to wifi adapter/router that has external antennas. You can use smaller antennas inside the vehicle or larger ones outside the vehicle when parked.

Many to choose from. Some, like the WiFiRanger mount the router inside and external housing, so do not. You will have to spend some time looking at various models.

This 4G LTE Router WiFi mounts inside. The two "paddle" antennas can be replaced with cables going to external antennas for better long distance reception.