Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Treatments - Yay or Nay?

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
This is two-part thread....

I have been RV camping for most of my life. I can always remember my dad using the old blue liquid in the toilet after dumping the tanks. This what I did once I started camping with my family.

How many of y'all use chemicals in the black tank?

WHEN do you use the chemicals?

I have seen few videos that talk about the treatments becoming inactive after a long period of time sitting in the tank and even causing issues with build-up. My common sense light comes on when I think about adding the treatment before the trip.

Also, this is my first camper with a built-in flush for the black tank. Once I am done, do I need to add any water or anything?

Thanks in advance!
59 REPLIES 59

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
Calcium Nitrate is the chemical often used in black tank treatments. It is also used in wastewater treatment plants for among other things - guess what - odor control. It does not kill the bacteria beneficial to breaking down waste. The perfume smelly additives are generally organic citrus products and similarly harmless. Use the stuff if you want, or not, whatever floats your boat.

RVs have holding tanks not septic systems. The holding tanks aren't designed for decomposition as nothing stays there that long.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Our tanks are left open when home and not in use. We close the tanks after getting to a camp ground or sometimes when leaving home then add water... the oil and blue stuff to the tanks.
We use lots of water when flushing for the black tank or the grey tank/tanks. In fact we run the stool till the black tank sounds close to full.

When traveling each day we flush when leaving and add lots of water then oil/blue stuff.

You don't worry about critters crawling up your open tanks?

See my other post farther back where I replied ...
"To keep daubers and critters out of the tanks I use aluminum screen wire".
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
nickthehunter wrote:
Calcium Nitrate is the chemical often used in black tank treatments. It is also used in wastewater treatment plants for among other things - guess what - odor control. It does not kill the bacteria beneficial to breaking down waste. The perfume smelly additives are generally organic citrus products and similarly harmless. Use the stuff if you want, or not, whatever floats your boat.

Water treatment plants also use Chlorine, Chloramine and a host of other chemicals that do kill all the bacteria. Otherwise they'd just pass along that bacteria to drinking water. Comparing septic systems to water treatment is comparing oranges to basketballs.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I find it funny that humans are obsessed with covering up smells and in most cases killing the very bacteria required to do what you are trying to do with chemicals. Decomposition is natural and left to it's own will accomplish exactly what you want. Been camping my entire life and never had an issue that went beyond what one would normally expect with just using water and flushing. Not to mention a lot of chemicals designed to cover up smells end up killing beneficial bacteria in the septic systems where they are dumped. Lots and lots of water, proper tank dumping and there shouldn't be an issue.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
pbeverly wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Our tanks are left open when home and not in use. We close the tanks after getting to a camp ground or sometimes when leaving home then add water... the oil and blue stuff to the tanks.
We use lots of water when flushing for the black tank or the grey tank/tanks. In fact we run the stool till the black tank sounds close to full.

When traveling each day we flush when leaving and add lots of water then oil/blue stuff.

Never thought about it! I do usually leave a low spot in my drain line to stop gasses, maybe I have stopped critters also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
....I also use coconut oil to keep the valves lubed.
No smelly tank issues.

And, how exactly, do you do this? Just pour some down the toilet? Do you add some after you have dumped the tanks? I just had to replace my two valves in my 2006 trailer. Looking for a simple way to do some preventative maintenance here.....Thanks.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
WE've used the blue stuff since 1972 (first rv with holding tanks).
After three truck campers in the '60s/'70s/ early '80s and three 5th wheel trailers since then its all we use. Water water water of course.
However as others we only use it when summer heats up and the black tank starts to stink.
WE dump when leaving a camp ground. Tanks are left open/caps off when home and sitting in the trailer shed. To keep daubers and critters out of the tanks I use aluminum screen wire.
I also use coconut oil to keep the valves lubed.
No smelly tank issues.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
LouLawrence wrote:
By far, if you want to use chemicals, Happy Camper is the best! The size of your tanks and how often you dump will determine what's right for you. The larger the tank the LESS likely chemicals will be necessary. You will just need to use plenty of water when flushing. Dump when the tank is approaching full. I have been traveling full time since 2000 and use no chemicals. If I sit for more than a month or 2 I throw in some Happy Camper in both black and grey as I think it helps keeps the sensors cleaner.

This is my thought as well. I have found there is really no need to obsess over having a spotless tank, Your just going to fil it with **** all over again.
Lots of water, dump when full, rinse occasionally when at a FHU site, never rinse at the dump station if there is a line!
I'll repeat never rinse at the dump station if there is a line!
You will be fine!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have not used anything but lots of water for at least 5 years. I dump once a week on Sundays. I call it my "Sunday Service".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
By far, if you want to use chemicals, Happy Camper is the best! The size of your tanks and how often you dump will determine what's right for you. The larger the tank the LESS likely chemicals will be necessary. You will just need to use plenty of water when flushing. Dump when the tank is approaching full. I have been traveling full time since 2000 and use no chemicals. If I sit for more than a month or 2 I throw in some Happy Camper in both black and grey as I think it helps keeps the sensors cleaner.

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your input! It’s amazing how we all have different ways of doing!

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I use little packets of an orange based chemical. I do find stuff is better broken down using it than when I don't and there is no smell
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100