Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Treatments - Yay or Nay?

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
This is two-part thread....

I have been RV camping for most of my life. I can always remember my dad using the old blue liquid in the toilet after dumping the tanks. This what I did once I started camping with my family.

How many of y'all use chemicals in the black tank?

WHEN do you use the chemicals?

I have seen few videos that talk about the treatments becoming inactive after a long period of time sitting in the tank and even causing issues with build-up. My common sense light comes on when I think about adding the treatment before the trip.

Also, this is my first camper with a built-in flush for the black tank. Once I am done, do I need to add any water or anything?

Thanks in advance!
59 REPLIES 59

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
In cooler weather nothing if we know we can dump within a few days. In Warner weather yes. We use those drop in packets from Canadian tire. Seem to do the job.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
chops1sc wrote:

I am 1000% in favor of using as much water as you can while using the camper. But if the camper is in storage mode, I feel like a chemical would help with the smell.

Are you getting a smell when you first open the door after the trailer has been sitting for a while? Or are you getting the smell when flushing the toilet?

If when first opening the door to the trailer, it's very possible you're getting gray tank smell.

If you only get the smell when flushing definitely make sure any and all vent fans are turned off before using the bathroom. You can always turn the vent back on just after you flush. A fan will pull stink out of the tank when the flush valve opens. Aside from that, if water is not working then yes you might need to look into adding a chemical.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
HappyKayakers wrote:
Maybe you can tell that to the states who get their water from the Colorado River. The same ones who just had to hammer out a new agreement on water usage with a lot of cuts.

While your claim may or may not be true, this planet has never been host to so many humans who use water without thinking of the consequences.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
OMG.......

"After reading about various water shortages across the country, I'm perfectly happy with using a probiotic in the tank and conserving water."

You do understand that the amount of water on this planet has NEVER changed??????

Best go back to the Cave.

YES it's true.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can tell that to the states who get their water from the Colorado River. The same ones who just had to hammer out a new agreement on water usage with a lot of cuts.

While your claim may or may not be true, this planet has never been host to so many humans who use water without thinking of the consequences.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
OMG.......

"After reading about various water shortages across the country, I'm perfectly happy with using a probiotic in the tank and conserving water."

You do understand that the amount of water on this planet has NEVER changed??????
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly appreciate everyone’s comments here and the conversation is very intriguing. Something we all should consider here is the different type of RVer’s. I am very much a weekend warrior (and often months between trips). I can’t help but think a full-timer is going to have a very different approach to black tank use and care vs someone that only uses their camper every other month.

I am 1000% in favor of using as much water as you can while using the camper. But if the camper is in storage mode, I feel like a chemical would help with the smell.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The real question is how to you handle potential odors in your system. Some use chemicals and others simply use lots of water and empty tanks regularly. I do believe that both work. If you don't want to use chemicals, use water.

Good point ...goes right over some folks head tho. They think their way is the only way and others that do it differently don't know what their doing.
Lots of variables if you have a stinky tank. Down here where we can have 110+ temps much of the summer months bad bacteria build up in the summer regardless of what system your using.
Also how long those tanks sit before the system is cycled. I've tried the do nothing method.....no chemicals method.... calgon/Dawn detergent method and other methods that others use.
I'm happy with the method I use and glad other have a method to stop the stink.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OMG.......

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Calcium Nitrate is the chemical often used in black tank treatments. It is also used in wastewater treatment plants for among other things - guess what - odor control. It does not kill the bacteria beneficial to breaking down waste. The perfume smelly additives are generally organic citrus products and similarly harmless. Use the stuff if you want, or not, whatever floats your boat.

RVs have holding tanks not septic systems. The holding tanks aren't designed for decomposition as nothing stays there that long.

ZACTLY!!!

This is quite a funny debate ,as we experienced RV guys know , water ,water ,water .I have used those drop in packets off ,and on for years. They make little difference , if any .

ZACTLY!!!

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say we go for 5 pages with this fascinating topic. OK, the only thing I want to point out is that this tank you carry around is NOT, NOT, NOT a septic tank. It is a holding tank. There are two completely different functions here. If you believe that all the good bacteria needs to be in place to digest the contents of the tank so that it will take care of all smells then I would like to ask where is your drain field to handle the digested liquid. Pretty silly concept, I know. Do you use chemicals? It is a yes or no sort of thing. The real question is how to you handle potential odors in your system. Some use chemicals and others simply use lots of water and empty tanks regularly. I do believe that both work. If you don't want to use chemicals, use water.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I consider myself an experienced RV guy and used to belong to the water, water, water crowd but that doesn't mean I have to continue on that path. After reading about various water shortages across the country, I'm perfectly happy with using a probiotic in the tank and conserving water.

cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Calcium Nitrate is the chemical often used in black tank treatments. It is also used in wastewater treatment plants for among other things - guess what - odor control. It does not kill the bacteria beneficial to breaking down waste. The perfume smelly additives are generally organic citrus products and similarly harmless. Use the stuff if you want, or not, whatever floats your boat.

RVs have holding tanks not septic systems. The holding tanks aren't designed for decomposition as nothing stays there that long.

ZACTLY!!!

This is quite a funny debate ,as we experienced RV guys know , water ,water ,water .I have used those drop in packets off ,and on for years. They make little difference , if any .
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:

ZACTLY!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
aftermath wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....I also use coconut oil to keep the valves lubed.
No smelly tank issues.

And, how exactly, do you do this? Just pour some down the toilet? Do you add some after you have dumped the tanks? I just had to replace my two valves in my 2006 trailer. Looking for a simple way to do some preventative maintenance here.....Thanks.

Not those valves. I think. But there’s a reason this hit 4 pages….lol

Nevermind….he meant all the valves. Previous post said he dumps in the “oil”lol to an empty tank! Now I’ve heard it all….
Thanks for the laugh jimlin. And why you air out your tanks? That’s weird too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:

ZACTLY!!!

Both you two should think more and type less. You’re showing yer azz (like amZoil) with those statements….
If you don’t know why, try my first suggestion….lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
aftermath wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....I also use coconut oil to keep the valves lubed.
No smelly tank issues.

And, how exactly, do you do this? Just pour some down the toilet? Do you add some after you have dumped the tanks? I just had to replace my two valves in my 2006 trailer. Looking for a simple way to do some preventative maintenance here.....Thanks.

Not those valves. I think. But there’s a reason this hit 4 pages….lol

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
pbeverly wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:

ZACTLY!!!