cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
How about taking the newly divided sections from TT and Toy hauler sections for trailer mods and creating a new mods section under the general section for all mods whether they be for Pup's, TT's, TH's or MH's. Allot of these mods can apply to all types of RV's. Someone might get an idea for their TT from something someone did to their Pup or vice versa.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Just re-read all this. So many great ideas, why oh why won't they give us a sticky? Is this to much to ask for!!!!!

SHADOWMCPD
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
What is a "black strike?"

"Black Streak", you know that ugly black mark that shows up out of nowhere on your vehicles. :S

(Some say they are traces left over when we crash into tiny alien spy craft from the mother ship overseeing this planet that is why they are so hard to take off, you know, gunk not of this Earth!):E

(Not hard to figure out, Typo, spell check mis-correction, poster typing too fast, Etc.)

It happens to the best of us!:p

Fred S
NYC
:C

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Time to bump!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't we get the powers to be to make it a sticky. I've written twice asking.
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
KLO wrote:
Yes, it has slowed down but wouldn't it be nice if it ended up as a "sticky" at the top? It has so many good ideas for us it would be a shame to loose it.
I just subscribed to it, now I just click on "my forums" & it pops right up.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it has slowed down but wouldn't it be nice if it ended up as a "sticky" at the top? It has so many good ideas for us it would be a shame to loose it.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like this thread has slowed down.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ak_traveler wrote:
We have a couple "favorite" gizmos that we love. First off is the C-Beter mirrors that fit perfectly on the arms of the tow vehicle outside mirrors. These little gems work better than any "stick-on" convex mirror and allow me to see what's behind me a lot better. Makes changing lanes and backing easier.

The second item is a slight modification...we use a Weber Baby Q grill and I wanted to find some way of securing the propane cylinder instead of having it roll around in the basement of the fifth wheel. Since we like using the blue torch bottles (as opposed to the bigger green camping bottles), we found that a simple fire extinguisher bracket holds then perfectly. So I have installed them in the corner of our regular propane tank compartments. Now I don't have to worry about them rolling around or leaking into the living quarters on the fiver!
Why not just use the "Extend-A-Flow kit, that way you just hook into your main propane tank, and never have to carry all those little bottles, & the entire kit (adapter & 12" hose) only weigh about the same as one little bottle.(Maybe a little less)
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

lesn8r
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Here are a couple pics of the satellite dish tripod we made from stuff around the house.

We dug up a sprinkler tripod that we had gotten from home depot ~20.00:

Then removed the sprinkler head and added a threaded brass rod and some PVC fittings to accept the dish and voila!! A cheap tripod

It's been working well for us!

Cheers,
Leslie

mferris72
Explorer
Explorer
DannyMarina wrote:
I loved the idea about using plexiglass inserts for the screen door...especially with the Fall comming. How do you cut the plexigall cleanly though...when I try, it just breaks or makes really jaggerd edges. Any help from those that have done this mod would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance! ๐Ÿ™‚

Just use a table saw or skill saw with the blade in backwards. Then file and sand. You can also take a butain tourch and heat the edges to give it a smooth finish. If you drill hole take your drill bit and sharken it like a pencil so it won't crack out the holes.
Mike Ferris

TireTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Srakc. my uncle has a deck on the back of his MH and a sliding glass door.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
B Traveler wrote:
JimBollman wrote:
I can't find the post but I'm sure I saw it here and want to thank the author.

I cut the tapered part of a 12oz water bottle off and stuffed it full of plastic grocery bags. Holds 12-16 bags if you really push. Takes up almost no space under the sink and gives us plenty of bags for a long camping trip.

I think the original idea was to cut off both ends, not sure why. I would think you would not get as many bags stuffed in that way.

Jim...

If you are going to mount the bottle on a wall or door, cut off the top of the bottle just above the neck, and all of the bottom. Then turn the bottle upside down when mounting, and you can put bags into the (now) top and take them out of the (now) bottom, just one bag at a time.

If you don't mount it, if you're just leaving it in a cupboard, you don't need to cut off both ends.

Ah, makes sense now. Yep I just throw it in a bin under the sink with other stuff.

Thanks

Jim...

lesn8r
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We found this at Home Depot for rolling up a 100' extension cord. We found it perfect to roll 100' of RG6 for our satellite. We drilled a hole in the hub to allow about 8' of cable to hang out so we just unroll what we need.

Packs tidy and works great!!

Cheers,
Leslie

B_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
I can't find the post but I'm sure I saw it here and want to thank the author.

I cut the tapered part of a 12oz water bottle off and stuffed it full of plastic grocery bags. Holds 12-16 bags if you really push. Takes up almost no space under the sink and gives us plenty of bags for a long camping trip.

I think the original idea was to cut off both ends, not sure why. I would think you would not get as many bags stuffed in that way.

Jim...

If you are going to mount the bottle on a wall or door, cut off the top of the bottle just above the neck, and all of the bottom. Then turn the bottle upside down when mounting, and you can put bags into the (now) top and take them out of the (now) bottom, just one bag at a time.

If you don't mount it, if you're just leaving it in a cupboard, you don't need to cut off both ends.
2007 Great West Van Classic