cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
OH man we have had this problem. DH first replaced the screen and then put up an expanded metal screen in front of it. She CHEWED IT UP! I can't believe she did that much damage to it and didn't cut her mouth on the sharp metal.

So then he put a solid piece of metal that he got at HoDe and spray painted everything black. That did the trick. She has scratched at it a couple of times but I think that because she can't see through it she doesn't try as hard to get out.

Denise in Ark

MichelleLMT
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem over the weekend with the dogs putting their wet noses on the screen. The big dog even pawed at the screen door once. My thought is to put a square of plexiglass on the inside bottom to help save the screen.
2009 Jayco 308RLS SOLD
1996 Jayco 1207 SOLD

grandpa___nana
Explorer
Explorer
Have new puppy. what means and methods have you used to reinforce the screen door to keep puppy from pushing screen out. thxs in advance
grandpa & nana

''The only requirement for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.'' Edmund Burke

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a tip about cleaning the black tank sensors

I like to make sure when I dump my black tank that it is fully empty and clean and the sensors are all working properly. Last time I emptied it, I was unable to get the 1/3 sensor to go off, even after filling and draining the tank several times. Since my trailer does not get moved, I do not have the ability to slosh liquids around in the tank with movement. So I filled the tank about 1/3 full of water, added some holding tank chemicals, and then a dishpan full of hot soapy water (Dawn dishwashing liquid). I let that sit for about an hour and then drained the tank again. The sensor got cleaned of whatever was on it and they are now all reading the levels properly again.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
As a campground manager I have to check in folks and enter their information in the computer. It never ceases to amaze me at how bad some folks handwriting is and it is sometimes embarrassing for them to have to ask them to spell their names or addresses (especially when you are hard of hearing as I am - and they might be also). A simple fix and one that makes check-in super easy is to affix a return address label to the check in form. Saves time on filling in the info, easy for the clerk to read and nearly everyone gets them in the mail from companies wanting donations or they are very inexpensive to buy.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

layla
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips!

(And yes, I read all 113 pages!)

And, FWIW, I agree that it ought to be a sticky.

I don't have any tips of my own, as we are still in the market for our RV...plan to make a deal by the end of the week!

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make up a small business size card to put in front of your drivers lic. after arriving at a camp ground. Include your camp site number, camp ground name and length of stay and whether any pets are in the camper. You never know if something mite happen while on a side trip away from the rig. Every body in the family gets one.. in case the little ones walk off.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small pocket laser thermometer at Harbor Freight for $10. I keep it in the truck to check assorted things that shouldn't be hot.

Jim...

lesn8r
Explorer
Explorer
You can also find infrared temperature probes at most hobby shops. RC car enthusiasts use them to check their engine temps, just point and shoot. They are around 25.00.

Cheers,
Leslie

JHUCK
Explorer
Explorer
loudgmc wrote:
Not sure what page it's on b/c there are so many in this thread, but I believe someone shared a tip about using a tire temperature sensor-- can someone share what it is exactly (is it a "gun" that you point at the tires that can sense the temp somehow), & where I can get one? Maybe post a pic/link??? Thanks!

I'm a volunteer fireman & use laser thermometers frequently. Really easy to use just pull the trigger & aim the laser at your target.

There's lots of different kinds & many different price but one like this Harbor Freight Laser Thermometer for $30 should be fine for home use.
'16 Cherokee 27DBH, '08 F-250 Lariat V10

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
loudgmc wrote:
Not sure what page it's on b/c there are so many in this thread, but I believe someone shared a tip about using a tire temperature sensor-- can someone share what it is exactly (is it a "gun" that you point at the tires that can sense the temp somehow), & where I can get one? Maybe post a pic/link??? Thanks!

I don't remember a post about this but you could use an infrared thermometer. You can get them at Harbor Freight and probably Home Depot or Lowes. Just point and press a button.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

loudgmc
Explorer
Explorer
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2004 Weekend Warrior 3105

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
NCHornet1 wrote:
Levelair Air Bags

The above is the best gizmo I have purchased for my trailer. No more getting the level close. I am dead on all the time. Adjustments are done easily without moving the trailer. I can't say enough how terriffic these bags are. I made a Y adaptor to fill both bags at the same time. I am perfectly level in less than 2 min. With a total height of 4" they have worked everytime. The best part is no more hauling a lumber yard with me on vacation!!!

Looks like they may be out of business. If you have any information on where to buy please PM me. Thanks
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
NCHornet1 wrote:
Levelair Air Bags

The above is the best gizmo I have purchased for my trailer. No more getting the level close. I am dead on all the time. Adjustments are done easily without moving the trailer. I can't say enough how terriffic these bags are. I made a Y adaptor to fill both bags at the same time. I am perfectly level in less than 2 min. With a total height of 4" they have worked everytime. The best part is no more hauling a lumber yard with me on vacation!!!

Looks like they may be out of business. If you have any information on where to buy please PM me. Thanks
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

smalldog
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with dogs and in THE BINDER I have their pictures, licenses and documentation of vaccinations. These are "required" at any campsite but I have only once been asked for it.