cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
jagco wrote:
We even turn the water off, to the clothes washer, in our stick house when not in use. Water hoses are not the same as real plumbing.

Yup...we do that too..! Both in the RV and in the house. We also change out the hoses every few years, no matter how 'good' they look!

Because the RV gets so warm inside when closed up, we just changed the hoses to the RV washer a couple months ago...they were 4 years old. Better safe than sorry.

Just never thought of turning the water off to the RV when gone, but it just might be on our list of things to do!

Thanks for the reminder/tips folks!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

In_The_Dawghous
Explorer
Explorer
Cauzin Chaos wrote:
I like that ramp... !!!

My old one was a monster made of 2X4s and plywood. This is much better. ๐Ÿ™‚
Gordon, Susie, Diane, Catie, Susan, Shawn, Annie, Jessi, Keith, Selena.(Yes, 8 kids)
1 Dog Bonnie.
96 Rexhall Aerbus Class A (The Dawghouse II)

Castaway Campers site

Our Photos

Cauzin_Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
I like that ramp... !!!
My treasures do not chink or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.

In_The_Dawghous
Explorer
Explorer
I just mounted the new ramp my brother made for me. We can jump on it and it has no flex. AWSOME!

Gordon, Susie, Diane, Catie, Susan, Shawn, Annie, Jessi, Keith, Selena.(Yes, 8 kids)
1 Dog Bonnie.
96 Rexhall Aerbus Class A (The Dawghouse II)

Castaway Campers site

Our Photos

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
jagco wrote:
We even turn the water off, to the clothes washer, in our stick house when not in use. Water hoses are not the same as real plumbing.

We do the same. A few years back had a water line to the washer burst while we were at work. Came home to find a hole in the drywall about the size of a baseball and two rooms complete flooded. Now the water is turned off when washing is done!
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I would fall into the overly cautious group myself. I turn the water off even if I'm only going to be away for an hour or two. It just takes a few seconds and gives me one less thing to worry about in my absence. I also turn the water off in my home if I am going to be gone for more than a couple of days.

In my line of work (now retired) I have seen the costly results many times of a busted water line that went undetected for a day or two. The few seconds it takes to turn the valve off (and on) is cheap insurance in my opinion.

Just my two cents worth.

See you out there,

Robert
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a safety measure. I like to turn off the water supply when we are away from the RV, even if only for a few hours. I have never had a problem, but don't want to wait until I have one to take precautions. It is easy to turn the water off then back on and doesn't cost us anything. I bought a Progressive Industries 30 amp EMS as a safety measure also, even though I have never had an electrical problem.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have gotten tired of forgetting to turn the city water faucet back on when arriving back at the RV. Usually I discover that I left the water off when I step into the shower and can't get any water. I then have to put my clothes back on, go outside to turn on the water, then resume my activity.

I'm curious to know why you have to remember to turn the city water on 'when arriving back at the RV'. Do you turn off the city water supply when you're away? Is this a long term rental site where you vacation or come to on weekends?

We've always turned the city water on when we hook up and leave it that way 'til we leave. I'm wondering if you had a leak at some point, and this is a safety measure.

Just curious...
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have gotten tired of forgetting to turn the city water faucet back on when arriving back at the RV. Usually I discover that I left the water off when I step into the shower and can't get any water. I then have to put my clothes back on, go outside to turn on the water, then resume my activity. NO MORE! I got this normally closed 24v valve and put hose connectors on it. It is inline between the faucet and the water pressure regulator. I use this 25.5v 25w adaptor to power it. I put 50 feet of 16g speaker wire between the two. I just run the wire into the RV through the driver's door. When I want water, I plug it in. When leaving the RV, I just unplug it and the water is shut off. Best of all, I can step out of the shower, plug it in, and step back in.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

corgi_mom
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the $ store and bought a photo album that holds 4x6 photos. Went through my favorite recipes and made copies of those that I thought I'd use while camping and put them in the plactic sleeves. The book is small enough to fit in the kitchen drawer, holds 100 recipes (probably more than I'll ever use) and keeps the recipe card clean. If it gets messed up, I can replace it for a dollar.

Ayrstrm
Explorer
Explorer
vgoulette wrote:
smalldog wrote:
You are going to think I'm nuts--that's OK, the whole family does. But this really works SO well that my husband now asks for them. Firestarters. I save the dryer lint, put it in cardboard egg cartons and drizzle with melted candle remnents and/or crayons. Make a bunch at once and carry them for campfires. Just be very careful when melting the waxy stuff and pouring it. Best to do it outside on the grill.

This is how I make firestarters, too. I use an electric candle warmer to melt my candle wax (use it after it loses all fragrance). And, free is definitely a great price!! lol

Vickie

The egg carton trick is actually a quite old Boy Scout trick, my father did this 30 years ago, but he mixed in sawdust into the melted wax.
22' Airstream, ca 1966
2009 Coachmen 26RKS SOA
2004 Expedition, EB Premiere
My camping blog

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Most Home Improvement stores sell plastic stretchable screening that will allow most kids and pets to push up against it without going through. I also like that it won't corrode or rust. Works for our small <20 lb pets (x3).
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
MichelleLMT wrote:
I had a problem over the weekend with the dogs putting their wet noses on the screen. The big dog even pawed at the screen door once. My thought is to put a square of plexiglass on the inside bottom to help save the screen.

We did this and it works GREAT!!
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

4BeachCampers
Explorer
Explorer
grandpa & nana wrote:
Have new puppy. what means and methods have you used to reinforce the screen door to keep puppy from pushing screen out. thxs in advance

We came up with this idea to keep our toddler son from rolling out the door (again...lol). He has since grown out of that stage - but now we use it for our dog who likes to push on the screen...
It is simply a curtain latch (clear pvc strap with a screw on one end and a snap on the other. We put the strap through the screen door opening and then snap it back onto itself... Works GREAT!

It's lasted us several years and cost next to nothing to make...
2005 Ford Four Winds Chateau Sport 28A