cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

dougwhite
Explorer
Explorer
traydon wrote:
OK I have spent the last 4 days skimming this site and it is great I am currently about page 170 but couldn't wait and figured i may get an answer while i finish looking. Here is my dilemma, While trying to attempt a cool mod of my own i made a big mistake.I was installing a key rack just inside the door to hang keys on and as I drilled through the bedroom wall I ended up witn a 1/8" hole in the outside fiberglass wall What does anyone recommend for a fix that will last

Go to your local big box store like Lowes or HD, and in the glues section they should have some Loctite Multi-Purpose Repair Putty. It's an epoxy "dough". I used it when my neighbor kid shot a target arrow thru the outside wall of my travel trailer......

You can just stuff it into the hole, smooth it down to the surface and them touch it up or like someone else said, put a decal or sticker over it. It dries to an off-white color.
Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

dougwhite
Explorer
Explorer
bob-lori-scout wrote:
Hated the tacky brass handles on all of the cupboards, those were the first to go - replaced them all with some nice branch-style handles in a dark bronze.

Ours had the tacky bright brass hardware as well and the cabinet edges had a strip of the same tacky bright brass "redneck bling" as the DW called it.

I removed the cabinet hardware, cleaned it all well to remove any oils, primed it and painted it with Rustoleum Hammered Bronze spray paint. Saved a boat load on new hardware!

I also removed the shiney brass trim from the cabinet edges, filled the grooves with wood filler and sanded it, then used those oak veneer strips that you apply with a hot iron, trimmed it, stained it to match the cabinets and no more "redneck bling".
Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
afob3 wrote:
Do not put them on the paneled walls in a TT though. It will pull the decorative wallpaper off when you try to remove them.

I did not know that. I guess we'll leave the hooks in place when we sell ours.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

afob3
Explorer
Explorer
Command Strips from 3M work good. We use them for hooks in the shower of both the TT and House.

Do not put them on the paneled walls in a TT though. It will pull the decorative wallpaper off when you try to remove them.
2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

Bucky2
Explorer
Explorer
The DW bought suction cup towel racks for the glass shower doors in the fiver before we actually took possession. It turns out that our Keystone has a design in the glass and the suction cups won't work. Can anyone suggest an adhesive we could use?

Thanks for your input! ๐Ÿ˜‰
The road goes on forever and the party never ends!

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on page 29 after 2-3 days of reading. That's means I've only read 10% of this thread!

ArmySFCRet
Explorer
Explorer
We use carpet runners throughout the coach. Only problem is keeping them from "walking". Also found some samples from a local carpet store that we use on the steps. When they get soiled we just replace them with another sample.

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/

TWIN H-POWER

&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I think he(or she) was looking for the thread itself on the list of threads and not the posts inside the thread.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
No problem here here is page 1
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17436377/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a glitch on your end? I am showing posts back to 4/16/06.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a Mod or Admin question . . . .

Is there some kind of "glitch" on the forums?

Was looking for *this* thread - had to do a search.

In checking on the General RVing Issues forum - there are (only) eleven pages of threads - the oldest posting being 9/8/11.

Other forums (here) are showing pretty much the same thing.

I see the last post to this one was 8/30/11 - but was no longer among the active threads!

Whasup? - Is there a new cut-off date for threads, or?

~

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
The Ready Brake has an LED that tells you when the Ready Brake has been activated, BUT it doesn't tell you when the toad's brakes are pressed. I wanted independent verification that the toad's brakes were, indeed, pressed when the Ready Brake SAID they were. Those two are not the same.

You are correct. I don't have my motorhome anymore, but I had the SMI Stay-in-play system mentioned above. I would occasionally manually activate the SMI brakes and could definitely tell they were working.

Not to get off the subject, but the nice thing about the SMI system was the vacuum pump which kept the power brakes booster working in the towd. Most towd brake systems don't have that, so they are pushing against a "dead pedal" and I doubt you would even feel them activate. I tested my towd (Nissan Frontier) without the vacuum assist I could put all my weight (230lbs) on the brake pedal and hardly slow it down. It made a believer out of me.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

WGLT
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Plastic milk crates - the ones made to carry 4 gallon jugs.
Our solution to carry our travel books (campground directories, Next Exit, atlas, maps &c &c) is a plastic milk crate DW bought at a flea market or yard sale. Keeps everything in one place and right-to-hand in the TV back seat. And it's the perfect size for what we carry, less than 1" fee space so nothing ends up with frustrating curled pages. Also perfect for carrying 2x4 & 2x6 shim lumber for leveling and jacks.
DC

Was WM yesterday and they are carrying plastic "tote boxes" in different sizes. Would work if the milk cartons ever wear out(which mine have done).
Wendell
2005 Cougar
2005 Duramax

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
We did the rug runner thing too and love it, think I will try the Velcro next as it tdoes move a little.
bob-lori-scout wrote:
Cinderella, we bought a long runner rug to cover the carpet in front of the jacknife couch and on the end that sits on the linoleum in the kitchen area, DH added 2 pieces of the adhesive back velcro, and two matching pieces on the linoleum. Now the rug stays put. But if you have it only on carpet not sure that would work for you.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

bob-lori-scout
Explorer
Explorer
Cinderella, we bought a long runner rug to cover the carpet in front of the jacknife couch and on the end that sits on the linoleum in the kitchen area, DH added 2 pieces of the adhesive back velcro, and two matching pieces on the linoleum. Now the rug stays put. But if you have it only on carpet not sure that would work for you.