Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD Power Transfer Switch Replacement

Keily
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning

I need some advice, I have a 2014 Winnebago Adventurer. 2 days ago my transfer switch went bad, we had a power outage were staying, and I think it fried the transfer switch. I had no shoreline power when we camped the next day in a different park. When I went to the storage bin where the shore line cord was stored I could smell the odour of burnt electronics. I by passed the transfer switch and got power restored in the motorhome so we can continue our trip back home.

The park that we are in right now has an RV Repairman resident here and I was talking to him about it, and he seems to think the transfer switch has a 2 year warranty on it from Winnebago. Does anyone know if this is true? I tried to contact my dealer, and Winnebago about this yesterday, and neither one has bother to reply to my messages.

I checked with Progressive Dynamics and they only warranty for one year.

My other question I have is ,I have to get a new switch, so I was wondering if there is a better ,more reliable switch out there, and I should add that my motorhome has an automatic generator feature, the power goes off the generator comes on if it is set to auto, great feature if you have a pet, so with that feature do I have to buy a special transfer switch that needs to work with the auto gen feature?, or would any transfer switch work for my 50 Amp service.

It seems to me that on my last motorhome ,1999 Winnebago Chieftain the transfer switch was a TC something, and it worked flawlessly for 15 years.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, BTW this is just one of many, many problems with this motorhome.

Thanks
Keily
6 REPLIES 6

Keily
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, I have ordered a new switch. It will be waiting for me when I return home.

MrWizard
the one in our 1995 Safari is a Todd industries 50amp TS with mechanical interlock , it is not made anymore
Here is the next best thing

50amp auto transfer switch with interlock

scroll down to Section 4

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
Your power systems auto start monitor, is the special part
Any 50 amp RV transfer switch will work
Better.. Best ?
IMO yes.. There is one brand that has mechanical interlock between the two relays and coils used in a 50 amp switch
Quality 50 amps switch uses two separate relays one for shore one for generator
When one is on the other can Not be engaged
Even if you open it up and pushed it with a stick it could NOT engage
Almost Impossible to create an accidental short circuit between generator and shore power
If I can find it again I will post it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago only has a 1 year warranty. If there was a longer warranty, it would be with the transfer switch manufacturer. Looks like you are stuck buying and installing the switch.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Since I don't know what transfer switch you have, I don't know if there is a better, more reliable one out there. But, I can tell you this: Yes you need a "special" transfer switch to work with your generator. Actually, your generator isn't automatic at all. Your transfer switch is automatic, it controls your generator, tells it when to start and when to shut down. Well - technically it all works as a system .......... Ah forget it, Yes you need "special".