cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great new electrical connectors

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been trying, painfully to splice a new 120V line into an existing line with very little slack and in tight cramped quarters under the sink. I finally decided to swing by HD to see if they had better connectors for a 3 wire connection and found Pushin 3 way

And are they great just push the skinned bare wire end into the connector and it locks it down. Keep these in mind if you are doing any wiring work. They come in 2, 3 and 4 way and maybe 6 way but that may be 2 ganged 3 ways. Works on 12 gauge and 14 gauge Romex.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
28 REPLIES 28

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
enblethen wrote:
They use the same style of jab in connector terminals on some switches and receptacles. Less then desireable connection.
Rated for different gauges of wire but may not work well with small and large wire.
I believe these are rated by code to allow to be covered in a wall without a J-box. In essence rated same as continuous wire by code.

I have never seen a code that allows splices to be "buried" in a wall

apparently nobody reads the code then. try 334.40B, kits have been available for years.. page 195 on NFPA 70

in wall splice kit

Home Depot Kit

Just because they make them doesn't make them legal. Apparently you read the code wrong. Those splices are allowed for exposed work per sec 334.40. we were talking about buried in the wall.

Re read the code sec 300.15A Need a box for a splice there are exceptions but the application talked about is not one of them.

pretty sure I'm not, not sure how else to interpret concealed

Code

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
enblethen wrote:
They use the same style of jab in connector terminals on some switches and receptacles. Less then desireable connection.
Rated for different gauges of wire but may not work well with small and large wire.
I believe these are rated by code to allow to be covered in a wall without a J-box. In essence rated same as continuous wire by code.

apparently nobody reads the code then. try 334.40B, kits have been available for years.. page 195 on NFPA 70

in wall splice kit

Home Depot Kit

Just because they make them doesn't make them legal. Apparently you read the code wrong. Those splices are allowed for exposed work per sec 334.40. we were talking about buried in the wall.

Re read the code sec 300.15A Need a box for a splice there are exceptions but the application talked about is not one of them.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
The last I knew the only place that a splice/joints, are allowed, not in an assessable box, is under ground.

Dusty

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The Wago is not a twist and pull, not sure where that came from. There is a lever than clamps down and the wire is stuck until the lever gets pulled up, which takes quite a bit of prompting to do - should never unhook by itself.

If you look at any DIY forum long enough you figure out that individuals are not bound by any code. Following a code will be safer, but code is not the only safe way. Individuals can take their own risk and judgment for what will work and be safe, right or wrong, the layman does not read 1,000 page code book to connect two wires together. This is a tired comment to keep bringing up every time someone works on their RV. Feel free to suggest a better way, but stop with the code references

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
enblethen wrote:

in wall splice kit

Home Depot Kit

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
enblethen wrote:

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing better than a good ol fashioned wirenut twisting the wires together.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Just a concern. Since you can "twist and pull" the wire out, how will these work on "mobile" moving equipment? I don't trust wire nuts on campers as I have witnessed several of them fall off.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I feel dumpy for just now knowing about it. A friend said he had a bunch of extra I could have. (His dad was an engineer of sorts, so he gets a lot of cool ideas).

This will simplify life so much.
Ebay had 60 for only $13, thats 13 cents each if I did math right.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought a new house in 93, they had the POS "stab n jab" receptacles and switches. I replaced every one with screw down connector type. Had several issues before replacing them.

Tiny pc of metal pushing against the conductor, NO THANKS!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
14g wire in a hole that can take 12g starts fires. Ask any insurance claims adjuster.
Puma 30RKSS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
enblethen wrote:

Sorry I donโ€™t even need to look, code requires access to all wiring splices. You can NOT bury in walls!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the post. I can't believe it took so many decades to find that out. :S

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
According to Ideal op's connector will be contained in box.Sell sheet

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker