cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote battery disconnect

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 02 Roadtrek built on a Chevy 3500. Looking at adding a selector switch so when van is sitting I can charge the van battery also. Simple enough to add a couple wires and switch to the isolator. But no where convenient to put the switch.

OK, no big deal I will use a solenoid, relay something like that and started looking.

I came across something new to me, a remote battery disconnect, never saw one before. Has anyone used one of these, are they any good, junk ??

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disconnect-Upgraded-Anti-Theft-Prevent/dp/B09WVBHBHG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=186USQXROLQBD&keywords=remote+battery+disconnect&qid=1688384345&sprefix=remote+battery+disconnect%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
7 REPLIES 7

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses, I will find a place for a switch!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
I have a 02 Roadtrek built on a Chevy 3500. Looking at adding a selector switch so when van is sitting I can charge the van battery also. Simple enough to add a couple wires and switch to the isolator. But no where convenient to put the switch.

OK, no big deal I will use a solenoid, relay something like that and started looking.

I came across something new to me, a remote battery disconnect, never saw one before. Has anyone used one of these, are they any good, junk ??

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disconnect-Upgraded-Anti-Theft-Prevent/dp/B09WVBHBHG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=186USQXROLQBD&keywords=remote+battery+disconnect&qid=1688384345&sprefix=remote+battery+disconnect%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Guess I am too much of a KISS theory guy to want a remote, key activated solenoid.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jjrbus wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I would not be running starting current through it. A simple mod and a piece of heavy wire to jump the isolator for charging vehicle battery on shore power. I have a battery switch in my junk, I do not see a convenient place to put it.

The more I look at it the less confidence I have so will use a relay/solenoid.

What you posted, however you use it, if itโ€™s hooked to the start battery it will have starting current going through it when you hit the key. However youโ€™re correct in believing that what you posted is not part of the equation to get you charging your start battery off of house shore power (converter).
Nor is a dc dc charger that was suggested. I think they mis understood what you want to charge and when.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I am not sure if I am understanding what you would like to do, but it seems like a BIRD and an Isolator Relay from Intellitec would work for your purposes. My apologies if I misunderstood your intention.

https://intellitec.com/bi-directional-isolator-relay-delay/

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I would not be running starting current through it. A simple mod and a piece of heavy wire to jump the isolator for charging vehicle battery on shore power. I have a battery switch in my junk, I do not see a convenient place to put it.

The more I look at it the less confidence I have so will use a relay/solenoid.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jjrbus,

Interesting link. Thanks.

I think I'd spring for a dc to DC charger instead of just a switch.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I hadnโ€™t seen those before. But makes sense and simple enough. Although for your purpose I believe it would require modification as it is made to simply disconnect one lead from the battery. Youโ€™re not trying to disconnect the start battery, youโ€™re trying to combine them when the charger (converter) is providing juice.
Looks like another low buck security solution for, say, an old car.
On a separate note, the quality has to be horrible for $25 and I wouldnโ€™t trust it to work as designed very long. And in the proper use, youโ€™d be running starting current through it which may be marginal with only a 250a rating if you were starting the engine in the cold weather.
I bought a similar ching Chong made headlight relay kit for our old truck. It works but itโ€™s worth about what I paid for it. And it doesnโ€™t work great.
There are several other ways to accomplish what you want to do but in a more preferable manner IMO.
From a simple Perko type cutoff switch to an ACR type switch for automatic combining or cutoff.
Also Iโ€™d make sure youโ€™re not creating some sort of ground loop or other issues as your rig should already have a charging circuit from the start system to the house batteries.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold