cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protectors

Angus_A
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought my first class A. A 2008 bounder 35H. It is also my first experience with a 50 amp system as well as a 5500 watt onan generator. I was wondering if the automated electrical control system in this coach has a built in surge protector or if it would be advisable to add one to the shore power cable?
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motor rating is 115 +- 10 % so 103.5 seems fine. (Dometic manual states same)
From my experience if voltage is sagging into the 105 zone it is not just going to hang there but will soon trip the power off. At that point I reduce load and plug in the voltage booster.

Bigger concern is a poor neutral connection and imbalanced voltage. This will be tripping immediately if present.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Angus A wrote:
I recently bought my first class A. A 2008 bounder 35H. It is also my first experience with a 50 amp system as well as a 5500 watt onan generator. I was wondering if the automated electrical control system in this coach has a built in surge protector or if it would be advisable to add one to the shore power cable?
Does it have an energy management load center that reduces load based on available power.

Some transfer switches have voltage protection but you will need to post the brand and model number.

Even if you have these protections the full PI EMS may serve you well as additional protection.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
PI unit has the advantage of being field serviceable and a limited life time warranty.

Only the hard wire versions are field serviceable, the portable versions must still be returned to the manufacturer for repair.

104 volts is too low for cut off voltage for my comfort. Fix the problem by using an autoformer.

And TRC engineers likewise feel 102 vac is suitable. :R

I am not sure what you mean by "trip delay".

If you mean the time before power is reconnected then the PI unit waits 136 seconds vs 128 seconds for the Surge Guard unit.

The TRC Surge Guard series avoid nuisance trips by employing a 6" - 8" trip delay before disconnecting power for 128" ... Progressive EMS units do not offer this feature.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When a person states "I want a surge protector" I first ask them what their objective is...

VOLTAGE PROTECTION is different than

PHASE CONNECTION ERROR which is different than

TRANSIENT SPIKE PROTECTION

All separate issues. All must be addressed independently.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PI unit has the advantage of being field serviceable and a limited life time warranty. 104 volts is too low for cut off voltage for my comfort. Fix the problem by using an autoformer.

I am not sure what you mean by "trip delay".

If you mean the time before power is reconnected then the PI unit waits 136 seconds vs 128 seconds for the Surge Guard unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The PU mentioned above is good but they were bought out recently and support is not what it used to be. It's probably still the best performer though.

Progressive Industries, not "PU". ๐Ÿ˜‰ As to whether a PI model is the "best performer" vs a comparable model from TRC Technology Research is as much internet folklore than anything else. Both are reliable products, each offers advantages the other may not, one example being a trip delay for the TRC EMS, no delay for the PI version. Some prefer the higher cutoff threshold voltage of 104 vac for the PI, others are quite happy with the TRC's 102 vac. Examine the specs for each and determine for yourself which is "best". ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having the energy management system is a good idea for 50 amp connections. Sadly, it won't protect you from a lightening strike. Unplug if a storm is brewing.

I prefer to solve low voltage issues by using an autoformer. The low voltage cutoff is annoying and is set too low in commercial units for my comfort level.

jerseyjim wrote:
IMO, get the best: Progressive Industries 50AMP EMS. (I say "best" because I have one...the portable unit).
For years, I never needed one....then a nearby lightening strike fried my fridge and damaged my transfer switch. $1400.
Researched a bit, found Progressive Industries...50AMP..comes portable or hard wired. I think I paid around $350 for it. Better than another $1400, yes?

Also, Progressive gives a lifetime warranty. The ones from Camping World do not. ((Get the EMS...not just the surge protector.))

Bought it on-line from Tweetys. At the time, they had the best price.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
With a 50A unit, you need one. The PU mentioned above is good but they were bought out recently and support is not what it used to be. It's probably still the best performer though.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are "Surge protectors" and there are SURGE PROTECTORS!!!

I have both. the first protects against only one thign (Spikes in the voltage short term transisent spikes that can easily hit 1000 volts often happen when an A/C kicks in or out)

The other SURGE GUARD protects against high voltage (Surge) Low (Dip or brown out) some do off frequency, Open neutral 240 volt 30 amp outlets and more.

Progressive Insudtries makes both types but the HW 50/30c are the best (the 50 ois for 50 amp rigs. you can figure out the 30)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Also, Progressive gives a lifetime warranty.

No longer true - rather it's a limited lifetime warranty so it's best to understand just what that means. Secondly, no one is "giving" you anything - you pay for that warranty within the price of the unit which is higher than a comparable TRC model.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely get PI EMS unit. It gives the best protection.
One in our park lost his electronics because of an underground electrical fault between two pedestals and didn't have an EMS.
By all means get one.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, get the best: Progressive Industries 50AMP EMS. (I say "best" because I have one...the portable unit).
For years, I never needed one....then a nearby lightening strike fried my fridge and damaged my transfer switch. $1400.
Researched a bit, found Progressive Industries...50AMP..comes portable or hard wired. I think I paid around $350 for it. Better than another $1400, yes?

Also, Progressive gives a lifetime warranty. The ones from Camping World do not. ((Get the EMS...not just the surge protector.))

Bought it on-line from Tweetys. At the time, they had the best price.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I consider it a necessary addition if there is not one already. Mine is a Progressive Ind. hard wired unit that has saved me a few times from high as well as low voltage readings.