cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salt Lake City, Utah

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
OK, headed for a couple of days in Salt Lake City in the latter part of the summer. Besides the Temple, Temple grounds (including choir rehearsal) and the lake, what other sights might we be interested in?

Thanks and Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems
13 REPLIES 13

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
If you're coming in the summer and want an afternoon or evening of fun, try Smith's Ballpark and take in a Salt Lake Bee's AAA baseball game. They play their hearts out and the prices are very reasonable. Decent seats usually available on game day, unless it's a holiday or big giveaway game. All the other recommendations above look spot on!
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to every one who contributed. Got enough to keep us busy for a couple of days. Looking forward to a great trip and,

Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Head north a bit, too - Promontory Point, site of the "Golden Spike", National Historic Site. Great living history presentation. We stayed at Brigham City KOA when we visited. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Drive up to Brighton Ski Area and take the walk around the lake. Always cool and a great place for a picnic. Lots of great suggestions from other RVers.

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
City Creek Center is across from the Temple and is a great place to wander and see the creek in the building. There is Tracy Aviary close to the zoo at Pioneer Park. Drive up by the U or to Ensign Peak Park on the mountain and watch the lights come on. Lagoon Amusement Park is fun. There are a lot of restored houses and several LDS museums downtown that are open to visitors. You can watch a Salt Lake Triple A baseball game for cheap. There is the Hill Air Force Base museum and the old Army post Ft. Douglas museum. Good luck and have fun.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

morley
Explorer
Explorer
Salt Lake KOA is a good choice for staying in Salt Lake City and visiting Temple Square, etc. Public transit runs right by the park.
Park City and the Olympic Park are definitely a worthwhile visit. The mexican restaurant previously mentioned is so worth the visit and the wait in line. Great food there supppsedly the best and most cost efficient in Salt Lake.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't already have other reservations, this is another vote for the SLC KOA. We've been there a number of times, and it's surprisingly good for a private campground inside a city.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Antelope Island is fun, an hour or so to the Bonneville Salt Flats, and the big ass slide they converted from the Olympic ski jump in Park City

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Our personal favorites are the Natural History Museum of Utah, featuring Native American history in Utah and especially the Rock Art from hundreds, if not thousands of years ago. Beautiful visitor center which also has hiking trails. They are open late on Wednesdays. Mount Nebo Scenic Drive south of Provo. This is an all-day activity, so stop frequently to take in the sights. American Fork Canyon's Alpine Scenic Loop: Fantastic! Your NPS Annual Pass will get you in here. Take the Lehi exit, then head East to the entry gate. If you don't have reservations, don't even think of trying to get a camping spot there! Being so close to a major metropolitan area, very busy on weekends. You will also go by Timpanogos Cave National Monument. Haven't taken the hike and tour yet so can't say how good it is. All I know is, it is constantly busy there and parking is very limited and at a premium, so plan accordingly. At the very top of the Scenic Byway, visit Cascade Springs which is a spring with a short hiking loop and trout that you can see in the pools (no fishing allowed). You might want to continue into Heber City but be advised that a lot of the way there is on dirt. Once in Heber, you can continue into Park City and see the Olympic Park that was built for the 2002 Olympics. Return to SLC by getting on I-80 and heading West. Another attraction is the Kennecott Open Pit Copper Mine to the West of SLC. Also, if you are staying at the KOA in SLC, right before you get to it, there is a Mexican restaurant called The Red Iguana. Haven't eaten there yet but, man, there is ALWAYS a line out the sidewalk to get in. We keep saying we're going to try it out some time. I think Guy Fieri put it on the map.

If you are going to be in SLC latter part of the summer, we in Idaho Falls will be directly in the path of the Total Eclipse on Aug. 21.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you eat at the temple nauvoo Cafe in joesph Smith building great food great price. You might want to buy a sandwich for the old homeless woman that sits on the bench just before the door.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
The capital building.

Bingham open pit mine.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Park City and Olympic park. Big Cottonwood Canyon, Little Cottonwood canyon, Solitude....
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there we stayed at a KOA that was down the street from the temple grounds. A shuttle took and picked us up. The other direction down the highway was the great salt lake. We never found anything else we thought was interesting enough to go to.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler